Since December 2018 WordPress has changed the default editor. This editor is now called as Gutenberg. In this article I am going to show you how to Create a Post in WordPress 5.3 Default Editor. But before that let’s see how to start a post in WordPress.
It might be useful for you : How to create a WordPress page?
How to start a new post in WordPress?
There are three methods to start creating a new post in WordPress:
- In top bar of WordPress environment, there is a New You can hover your mouse over it and a small menu will be shown. Click on Post
New > Post
- From left sidebar of your dashboard, hover mouse over Click on Add New.
Posts > Add New
- Again from left sidebar of dashboard, click on Posts. In the next page on the top left, click on Add New
Now let’s see how to work with different WordPress editors:
How to create a post in WordPress with Gutenberg?
Gutenberg is a powerful block editor. All items can be gathered together by blocks. Titles, images, texts videos, etc. Say hello to Gutenberg environment:
As you can see you can Add title and under title block start writing your post. But it is not the end. There tens of blocks which make you enable do wonderful thing without typing a single line code. Let’s begin!
I want to start from top bar menu:
- Add block: This plus icon helps you to add more block to your content. As we go further I will show you all the blocks.
- Undo & Redo: These two famous buttons are almost in all applications. They are for Undo & Redo. Short keys for these buttons are ctrl + z & ctrl + shift + z
- Content Structure: This icon is so handy. By clicking on it, a pop up will be shown which shows you numbers of:
- Block Navigation: This one helps you to navigate through all your blocks and manage them. Short key for this button is Shift + Alt + O
- Save Draft: It is for saving a draft of content you are writing.
- Preview: shows you a preview of your content.
- Publish: click on this item and your content will be online for everyone on the net.
- Settings: by clicking on this button, the right side bar menu of Guttenberg editor will be hidden and shown. Short key for this icon is Ctrl + Shift + , .
- Show more tools & options: this menu gives you different options in three different sections:
Let’s get familiar with different blocks of Gutenberg editor.
Start creating a post in WordPress Gutenberg editor
As you open Gutenberg to Create a Post in WordPress, there are two default blocks. Title and content blocks. The title has H1 tag which is the most important heading in your content.
Add Cover image
Now I want to add a cover image. Click on add block. Scroll down to common blocks section. Click on Cover.
Add a new image to this section and now you have a cover image in your post.
As you can see there are some options on top of the image. Left one which you will see on all blocks is to transform this block to similar ones. In this case you can change the cover image to different image block types.
The middle ones are for justifying the image.
The last button which consist of three dots, gives you more options which are completely obvious and there is no need for exploring them.
By clicking on the pen icon you can edit the image.
Add Alt text to image
You can add alt text to your cover image and different block images from edit icon (Pen) or from right sidebar menu as you can see in above image.
Add caption to images
Just click on the image. A note will appear under image: Write caption. You can write your caption there.
Main part to Create a Post in WordPress is to write! Click on paragraph to start writing. The good point is you can add image, heading, and cover image from inside this block too. I add a H2 tag and write something under it like this:
From top left, click on add block icon. Scroll down to common blocks.
What about creating a list in WordPress 5.3 default editor?
Again click on Add blocks and scroll to common blocks. There is a list block.
I suggest to Work with other blocks in common blocks section. But there is one more I Want to introduce!
Add Button in WordPress 5.3 default editor
There is a wonderful option in here which is really handy. I want to add a button to my post which is linked to a file. My users click on it and file starts downloading. You cannot believe how easy it is. Go to common blocks and click on file. A block like image below will appear. You can upload your file or select from your previous file from Media Library. This is exactly why Create a Post in WordPress is so sweet!
After selecting file, your button with a direct download button with file name is ready for you:
Add table in Gutenberg WordPress editor
Go to Add block, scroll to formatting and click on Table.
As you can see in image above, there are two boxes which you can add number of columns and rows. From the right sidebar, there are two Styles that you can select one of them. If you know how to code in CSS, add desired classes in Additional CSS Class box.
After clicking on Create Table a new section will be added in right sidebar menu. There are three handy options which are:
- Fixed width table
- Header section
- Footer section
As their names are clear, there is no need to more explanation.
But what if I want to edit my table? Just click on it and there are 6 different options which help you to edit table very easy.
Great! In this article I tried to show you how to create a post in WordPress 5.3 default editor. In next days I am going to make it more complete and talk more about different blocks which are so interesting. I also will talk about classic WordPress editor. Stay tuned!
Want to read more?