WordPress allows you to manage and change the menu links inside the site theme. When you are creating and designing a WordPress theme, it is possible to use menus instead of calling the site content categories. Hence, you can take over your content and links more comfortable and more efficiently. In this article, we are going to show you how to add a menu in WordPress and how to manage the links and navigation menu. So, stay tuned with Recentwp.
What are the advantages of WordPress menus over its categories?
Menus in WordPress have different advantages as compared with content categories. Below, we introduce some of them to you:
- Easy to work
- Able to add custom links in the website
- Ability to add icons in the menu
- Ability to assign a no-follow tag to the links
- Easy to change the location of the link
- Ability to build unlimited sub-menus by drag and drop of items
- Ability to add custom internal and external links
- It allows you to choose a custom title for each menu
- It supports WooCommerce categories
- Ability to add a custom page to the menu items
- It is possible to create multi menus and use them in different locations of the site
- Adding custom CSS codes to the menus
- Adding targets to the links to control the opening view
How to add a menu in WordPress?
For getting your hand dirty, first, head to Appearance >> Menus. Inside the Menus section, you will see the Edit Menus and Manage Locations options.
- Edit Menus option: here, you can manage the items’ links that have been already created.
- Manage Locations option: you can put the created menus in different locations of the site.
In the following section, we will discuss these two options.
Creating menus in WordPress through Edit Menus panel
If you haven’t created a menu yet, you should first click to create a new menu and give it a name. Hence, the menu items and structure will appear on your window. Moreover, for having extra items inside your menu panel, click the Screen Options in the top corner of the page. By activating the items in this box, you have full control over your menus.
If you have WooCommerce or edd plugin activated, you can select the tags and categories for those options either. Therefore, you are able to use their categories and tags in the WordPress menu.
As you can see in the above image, you can add menu items such as pages, posts, categories, etc. from the left box and add them to the menu structure. You should first check the desired items and click add to the menu to construct the menu items. By drag and drop of the selected menu items, you can manage them based on a hierarchical arrangement.
After organizing the item, you can select the menu display location in the Menu settings section and then click Save Menu.
How to add nofollow links in WordPress?
In order to add nofollow links, follow these steps:
- First off, activate the Link Relationship (XFN) option in the Screen Options.
- Then, click the drop-down button (▼) to open the link features.
- Assign nofollow to the XFN
- Enjoy your settings
How to work with the Manage Locations menu in WordPress
You can manage the created menus and their locations in the Manage Locations section. Dedicated menus locations are based on the theme codes. Based on the theme developer, it may have different locations for menus. However, these locations can be managed in the theme function.php file through the register_nav_menus method.
Assigned Menu is a list of created menus through the upper tutorial. You can also manage their locations to display in this section.
How to add icons to custom WordPress menus
You may have seen some of the websites that have menu items along with a dedicated icon. It becomes a piece of cake by using the Menu Icons plugin. Just download it from the WordPress resource in the admin dashboard. Then, activate the plugin, and the icon settings will appear inside each menu item feature. If not, don’t be afraid, you can easily select it from the Screen Options.
The Menu Icons plugin has different icons ready to use for the links. Click the drop-down button (▼) to open the link features and select Icon. A new window pops up from which you can select an appropriate dash-icon and the place of the icon. Moreover, it is possible to change the icon resources in the Menu Icon Settings from the Add Menu Items box.
In this article, we illustrated how to add a custom menu and its items in WordPress. Moreover. I showed you how to create parent/child links and assign nofollow relation to a link. Then, in the final section, we discussed how to create icon links for making your navigation menu more stunning.